Happy Holidays, everyone! Just some highlights this month:
- Dr. Farrell presented highlights from “Remembrance at the Meadows,” an event at the Spirit of 76 park in November in honor of our veterans. Kevin Hansbauer and Zach Lorenz from DECA led the effort. Kevin and Zach were made honorary Town Criers by The Milford-Miami Township Town Crier, Bill Knepp. They even got to ring the bell and cry – be sure to check out the ICRC video!
- The district is slightly under budget for this fiscal year.
- McCormick, Mulberry & Meadowview Elementary PTOs donated $22,988 (total $68,964) to fund two Chromebook carts at each of their schools, holding 36 Chromebooks on each cart. Thank you for your incredible generosity!
- The board approved the full-day, tuition-based kindergarten program for the 2016-17 school year. Registration will open in January. We will offer 6 sections of the full-day program once again, with the potential to expand if needed. In addition, there will be more scholarship slots next year. As academic data from the program is available, the administration will be presenting it to the board.
- The new elementary schools (Seipelt & Boyd) are appr. 50% complete and on schedule. They are both under roof, with windows and temporary doors installed. Temporary heat is helping dry out the interior. Much of the work this winter will be on interior items.
- The high school is adding several new courses, including AP Capstone, AP Chinese, and German IV/AP. This will bring our total AP offerings to 21. They are also greatly expanding the High School of Business program, which is offered through Great Oaks; and adding American Studies (a synthesis of American history and American literature); Acting III; Mixed Choir; and Career-Based Intervention (workforce readiness & general life skills).
- For planning purposes, Dr. Farrell submitted his resignation letter to the board at last week’s meeting, effective December 31, 2016. Dr. Farrell has brought so much to the Milford school district … it’s hard to know where to begin. Since he has another year with us, I will save the nostalgia for when he is actually leaving. For now, the board extended his contract from July 31, 2016 to December 31, 2016. We will begin the search process this winter, and hopefully we will be able to have some transitional overlap with the new superintendent and Dr. Farrell next fall.